Monday, July 18, 2011

Summer Festival #1 - Jay County Fiber Fest

The first summer fiber event for me this year was the Jay County Fiber Fest in Portland, IN. March 11 & 12.  I guess that is really still spring but it was the kick-off show.  I met Mike & Cheryl Moreo of The Fiber Closet there & hung out with them between classes.


I took two very interesting classes there.  A "needle-felt an alpaca hat" class with Carol Houghton and a "locker-hooking" class with Kendra Habegger.  I have had such fun with the hat I made in class.  I have changed the shape of it several times.  This is the current rendition.  Trust me....It will change again. 
I unfortunately have no pictures of the locker hooking.   I haven't touched it since March.  It was fun but I don't think I will be doing a lot of it.






I did some demonstrations in rigid heddle weaving on a Schacht Cricket loom.  The Jay County show is a pretty laid-back festival but a great way to ease into the show schedule.  Lots of nice activities for kids on Friday with hands-on demos/classes on everything from felting & beading to sheep shearing.  And of course great shopping from all the vendors.  A good time was had by all.




Well that's it for today.  This is my first Monday in ages without my 2 yr old grand-daughter here to "help" me work.  Since I can't use her for an excuse.......I really should try to get something accomplished.  ;)


But before I go, here is a picture of my latest knitting project.  I have been absolutely obsessed with lace this summer.  This is my second Wendy Johnson Shawl.  She has inspired me to write my own pattern for a lace shawl.  I'll keep you posted on my progress.  If you haven't seen blocking work its' magic...check back tomorrow (hopefully).  The shawl is currently 21" x 36" just off the needles.
Waiting on the blocking fairies to appear!




See you next time when I review The Fiber Event @ Greencastle.

No comments:

Post a Comment