Thursday, May 3, 2012

KnitCircus Spring Retreat 2012 - Day TWO


KnitCircus Spring Retreat 2012 - Day TWO

Class time.  I was up & ready without out needing any alarms.  Isn't that always the way it works?

Upon registration we each received a scrumptious swag bag filled with goodies including yarn.  Woohoo! Who doesn't love free yarn?





Stephannie, Amy & Jaala




First up was the Knitting an Entrelac Tam Class with Amy Detjen.  I have to say Amy is such fun.  If you ever get the chance to take a class or even just visit with her,  I highly recommend you jump at the chance.  She is so personable.  It is like jumping right into a discussion with an old friend you haven't seen in ages.  There is no awkward, getting acquainted stage. We share a love of purple, a whatever gets the job done attitude, and evidently a penchant for singing loudly in the car. The class was great,  everyone was excited to learn that elusive backwards knitting technique.  Here is a picture of my still unfinished tam



Autographed in PURPLE, of course!




I am also now the proud owner of Amy's new book - "Knitting With Two Colors by Meg Swansen & Amy Detjen". This is not a pattern book but a technique book.  Review to follow someday soon.








We broke for lunch & shopping.  There was a delightful little lunch served by the hotel.  Sandwiches, salads, some lovely local kettle chips, and an excellent chocolate dessert.  Not a one of those thing should I be eating but....it was a special weekend.  Sun Valley Fibers had a small booth set up.  We sort of overwhelmed her I do believe.  I scored a few skeins of her luscious yarn in beautiful colors.  One I have already given away but the other two I have projects in mind for.  I also bought one of her Yarn Buddies.  I have often wanted to try one & this seemed like a good chance.  I bought the single in a lovely darker wood.  Alas I have no clue what type of wood or color you would call it but here is a picture of it for those interested.
                         
 I knit a lot of lace & so far this is working out fantastic for keeping lace weight yarn nice & neat. I love that.  I am also thinking about getting the double to use for warping the smaller looms, and doing colorwork knitting.




My afternoon class was with Stephannie Tallent on Knitting Beaded Motifs.  What a delightful person!

 She had everyone feeling right at home & knitting our little beaded cuffs in no time.  Beads were flying across the tables & onto the floor but everyone had such fun.  She shared lots of designing tips.  We talked about her process for creating beaded works, writing, different needles and notions. She made sure each student got individual attention & no one left unsure of the techniques needed to add lovely beaded accents to your work using fair-isle motifs.
Small beaded cuff from class

No one seemed quite ready to call it a day so after a bit of chit chatting in the lobby. A few people made their way over to R.P. Adler's for dinner.  Everyone insisted I could not be in Wisconsin without trying the fried cheese curds & Spotted Cow beer.  Now I am not a beer drinker but I have to say, that was perhaps the BEST beer I have ever had.






  It was great to unwind from such a fun-filled day.  I made many new friends and everyone was encouraging and friendly in the way of knitters around the world.

The KnitCircus Retreat is certainly a great event.  If you ever find yourself able to work it into your busy schedule.  You should.  It is well worth the time & money.

PS.  I hear that Franklin is teaching at the Fall Retreat.  Keep an eye out for that.



Tune in tomorrow for my adventures in storm racing ( the opposite of storm chasing)

Peaceful Knitting Everyone!




No comments:

Post a Comment