Tuesday, August 30, 2011

A Good Life

I was recently fortunate enough to be invited by Brigitte Pieke of Klose Knit in Urbana, IL to attend a "meet & greet" with Stephen West aka WestKnits.

I carpooled with Cheryl Moreo of The Fiber Closet.  We headed of to Urbana for a wonderful fibery excursion.  After a  delicious early meal at The Courier Cafe where they still serve old-fashioned "Green River Phosphates", we moved around the corner to Klose Knit.  This is a truly lovely yarn shop owned by Brigitte.  It is warm, cozy and full of every fiber you could hope to find. Brigitte was a gracious hostess making sure everyone felt welcome and had time for a personal chat with Stephen.

Stephen West is a delightful young man.  His designs are fresh and fun.  You can not help but be cheered by his smile.  It is wonderful to see this designer gaining popularity.  After his recent mention by The Yarn Harlot, I expect his fame to soar in the knitter world..


Hopefully I will soon have a picture or two of items made from his unique patterns.  I am thinking about starting with LoxleyTransatlantic or maybe the Boneyard Shawl just because I love the name. The new book, "WestKnits Book Three" is scheduled for an October release.  Look for it in your local yarn shop.

While at Klose Knit, I also met designer Todd Gocken.  We had a very nice chat about yarns, pattern writing, publishing, sales, etc.  He offered many fine tips.  His "Brigade" sweater and "Norwegian Snowflake" hat and scarf are just beautiful.  Check him out on Ravelry.

On a more personal crafting note,  work continues on the "stealth shawl pattern".  I have projects on 2 looms and several UFO's hanging out around here.  The spinning is coming along.  I actually spun some beautiful yarn from Jacob roving.......for about 2 yards.  Then I was back to thick & thin.  But I am making progress.

Life has been busy here with grandchildren, canning vegetables from the garden, and crafting when possible. 

But, it is good.  Definitely a good life!

No comments:

Post a Comment