Sunday, July 24, 2011

Summer Fiber Festival #2 - Greencastle

Since the heat is still beating down on us here in the Midwest and I have no new grandbaby yet....it's back to festival reviews.

My second festival of the summer was The Fiber Event in Greencastle, Indiana held April 15 & 16, 2011. There was a wide range of workshops in weaving, spinning, dyeing, felting, knitting and basket-making.  If you couldn't find a class you liked.....you weren't trying.

The Fiber Event is definitely a rain or shine event.  I knew this going in and yet I was not prepared for the cold rain & wind.  But thanks to Sally of Brown County Weavery, I stayed toasty with my new handwoven, hooded cape.  It was a life saver.

It was good to see so many of my vendor friends there: Robin Edmundson, Jill of Star Struck CatSusan McFarland who did wonderful demonstrations in wool carding, Susan Markle of The Trading Post for Fiber Art, Barb from The Weaver's Loft, and I must not forget to mention that Geno's Kettle Corn was there.  They are always a hit.

There was a new vendor there whose work I absolutely fell in love with....Fiber Optic Yarns.  Kimber Baldwin is from Ohio. She dyes the most fantastic fiber.  It is incredibly bright & vibrant. Even the names she gives her colorways are the coolest.  I bought some of the most incredible sock yarn in purple called "Weapon Grade".

 I hope you get a chance to see Kimber's fibers in person.  Computer monitors just do not do it justice.  As you can tell, I am a huge fan.  I have in mind a huge circular lace piece and I truly believe it is begging to be made from Fiber Optic Yarn.


The only thing lacking at this years festival was food.  There was only one food vendor there and they just could not keep up.  If you know of a good vendor or two, maybe you could point them toward Greencastle next spring.  Since the food was a bit scarce, Sharon H. & I decided to visit the much talked about Almost Home Tea Room.  What a wonderful place.  You really need to stop by if you are in the area.  Fantastic food and atmosphere!






I did some crafting demonstrations again at The Fiber Closet booth.  This time I concentrated on Tunisian Crochet and clasp-weft weaving on the rigid heddle loom.








That wraps up my thoughts on The Fiber Event of Greencastle.  Hope you will join me next time when I plan to fill you in on my wonderful time at Hoosier Hills Fiber Art Festival as I work my way up to TNNA............or my on-going lace obsession.......or my extreme Sock Summit envy........or maybe a new baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment